The Department offers full-fledged educational programs: undergraduate (BSc), taught-based postgraduate (MSc), and research-based (MPhil and PhD) degrees. These programs aim to explore related issues with different foci, meet the needs of different levels (local, regional and international), and train experts in different capacities (academia, private and public sectors).
A major emphasis in our UG and PG curricula is the provision of practicum experience, experiential learning, study trips and overseas attachments to enhance students’ academic, career and personal development. These include partnerships with local organizations (such as non-governmental organizations (NGOs), government agencies) to offer practicums and internships, as well as capstone projects and study trips in collaboration with universities in mainland China, Taiwan and Japan. Furthermore, we will develop partnerships with universities and corporations in neighboring cities that have strong presence in ocean research and maritime industry (such as Shenzhen, Xiamen and Singapore) to provide more learning experiences for our students, as well as to enrich our curricula through the development of new courses, research opportunities, and training programs.
Research-based Postgraduate Programs
- MPhil in Marine Environmental Science
- PhD in Marine Environmental Science
- SZU-HKUST Joint PhD Program in Marine Environmental Science (Until 2020-2021 cohort)
- GML-HKUST Joint PhD Program in Marine Environmental Science
- SML-HKUST Joint PhD Program in Marine Environmental Science
- MPhil and PhD in Marine Science and Technology (new and in progress)